For centuries, beer has served as the lifeblood behind some of the world’s most remarkable creations (not even including the evolution of the drink itself), thus making it a beverage worth celebrating. In a big way. Throughout our great country, festivals are held year-round to celebrate the world’s most popular and important drink.
As the craft beer scene has grown, so have the events that bring its creators and advocates together. More and more people are expanding their horizons, ignoring the watered-down advertisements, and trying new beers that challenge the palate with every sip.
While the craft beer revolution is prevalent all over the land, Pittsburgh has become a hotbed for craft beer over the past decade and change. Each day, a new consumer picks up a unique beer for the first time and increases their intrigue. Each day, bars and restaurants across the Steel City tap a new IPA or special offering from one of the hundreds of craft beer breweries or, equally as significant, one of the several local craft beer breweries like Helltown, East End, Full Pint, and others. It’s led to a scene that’s spread like wildfire 365 days a year in our fair city. But for 10 of those days, craft beer is given center stage to further its stake.
In 2012, the first ever Pittsburgh Craft Beer Week was held to collectively pull together the efforts of everyone behind the craft beer movement. Craft beer continues to grow, both in revenue and popularity, and the movement is sweeping its way through Pittsburgh and pulling people into its wave of unique beer choices in an epic way.
As we approach the 3rd Annual Pittsburgh Craft Beer Week starting April 25th, us on the good side of craft beer advocacy are anxiously awaiting the events, collaborations, camaraderie, and all-out fun the week entails.
And for those just hopping on the bandwagon, here are 5 Things You’ll Find During Pittsburgh Craft Beer Week:
- Increased Awareness – If you’ve joined us for any events over the past two years, you know full well craft beer awareness is up when the clock strikes Beer Week. This week provides a unique snapshot of enthusiasts who enjoy craft beer from many different walks of life, for many different reasons. But, despite who they are and what they do, craft beer is the common thread that ties them all together.
- Enhanced Beer Education – If you’re just tapping into the craft beer scene or looking to give your palate the push it needs, Craft Beer Week is the perfect opportunity to make it happen. Education is a cornerstone of these events and highlights many of the scheduled events. Regardless of what event you choose, you’re guaranteed to find other like-minded beer fans to learn from.
- Social Connectivity – As Craft Beer Week has evolved, so too has the way its many events are shared. It’s impossible to be at every event at once, but through the power of Facebook, Twitter, and other social networking sites, you can be enjoying a hopstrong IPA at Bocktown in Robinson while tweeting with someone toasting a collaboration beer at Piper’s Pub in the South Side. The power of Social Media allows you to enhance your Craft Beer Week experience and you’ll see even more of this in 2014.
- Collaborations – Craft Beer Week brings together our local craft beer constituents and the results always leads to collaborative beers that will make you wish they brewed together every day! Even breweries outside of Pittsburgh have contributed, like Southern Tier Brewing’s Craft Beer Week rollout last year, Pittsburgh Left. The 10-day event is normally the only time these beers are available, so don’t miss out!
- If You’re On the Fence About Craft Beer… – Whether craft beer stole your heart some time ago or you’ve just begun flirting with entering a relationship with it, Craft Beer Week is a great time to interact with other beer fans and discover what style of beer is right for you. We all reach a point where we demand more from our beer. If that statement weren’t true, Pittsburgh Craft Beer Week wouldn’t exist.